My Sweet Baby

My Sweet Baby

Friday, August 27, 2010

Orchestrating surgeries and tests

Brigham will be having arm surgery on his left arm (the one with more flexion) to:   
A.  look at his elbow joint and possibly reshape it, and 
B.  lengthen his tendons and muscles in preparation for the "triceps to biceps" transfers later on (both arms).  The first surgery is scheduled for October 22, a week after his first birthday.


Brigham also can't seem to pass his hearing screening for his left ear.  The audiologist says he needs to have an ABR done at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.  They are going to have to sedate him for that.  I am trying to orchestrate him having that done at the same time he is already sedated during his arm surgery in October.  


We also want to see a geneticist with him, but the soonest appointment they have is in February of 2011!!


When you're pregnant and all you want to do is cuddle and hold your sweet baby when he/she comes, the last thing that crosses your mind is "but how will I find the time to schedule all the needed surgeries and tests, and what if I could find a way to do more than one at a time?" -that is, of course if you have no reason to believe your child will come without abnormal conditions or problems.  And then it's WELCOME to the world of a special needs child!!  :)  I really do love it.  He blesses my life, and is well worth it.  I will continue orchestrating surgeries and tests because of Brigham.

No comments:

Post a Comment